- Maria Guta (European Space Agency, ESA-ESTEC, France)
- Konstantinos Liolis (SES S.A., Luxembourg)
5G is the first truly multi-technology communication system, where satellite role is being proven on the basis of its benefits and its integration in the overall network. The consensus and wider agreement on what satellite brings to achieve the 5G KPIs are: service ubiquity, service continuity, service scalability, broadcast (simultaneity) and security. Recent activities – with the active involvement of the satellite and terrestrial mobile industry stakeholders – develop already 5G features in satellite networks and include the necessary integration tests. Large-scale 5G testbeds are being developed to validate the end-to-end terrestrial-satellite 5G integrated system, network performance and demonstrate the seamless service delivery. To this end, several successful over-the-air demonstrations have taken place so far paving the way for the seamless satellite integration into 5G. In addition, several international standardization activities are ongoing to promote the satellite role into the 5G ecosystem. In this context, supported by the ongoing relevant EU 5GPPP projects (SaT5G, 5G-VINNI, 5GENESIS) and ESA ARTES projects (Satellite for 5G – S45G, SATis5, EdgeSAT, etc.), this Special Session builds upon the success of the series of past relevant events and aims to showcase that satellite integration into 5G is in fact getting closer to reality. In particular, this Special Session will:
- Highlight the experiences, results and lessons learnt from successful over-the-air demonstrations towards the seamless satellite integration into 5G;
- Update on the status of 5G experimentation facilities optimising the integrated satellite-terrestrial 5G network architecture and exploiting edge network connectivity concepts;
- Promote the emergence of innovative services and new business models making use of 5G networks integrating satellite in response to the various 5G verticals requirements;
- Foster cross-industry cooperation opportunities between terrestrial mobile and satellite industry in the context of 5G ecosystem;
- Provide insights into the status of standardization activities for satellite integration into 5G.