H2020 SaT5G Workshop on 5G Satellite-Terrestrial Integration for Aircraft Connectivity – February 6 2020, Wessling (Germany)
On February 6 2020, Zodiac Inflight, part of the Safran Passenger Innovations unit, hosted a successful workshop event about the R&D activities undertaken within the SaT5G project to deliver a prototype 5G system for the connectivity both inside an aircraft and to an external ground data network. A live demonstration of full integration of satellite-terrestrial networks within 5G was provided relying on Virtualized SkyEdgeIIc Platform over an emulated GEO satellite link. In addition, a video demonstration of the 5G satellite-terrestrial networks integration of over-the-air end-to-end connectivity relying on O3b MEO HTS satellite constellation was also delivered during the event.
The event was well attended by Zodiac Inflight R&D and product teams, the SaT5G testbed partners, namely SES, Gilat, Quortus and i2CAT, as well as by the SaT5G Project Coordinator Avanti, the SaT5G Technical Coordinator University of Surrey and the University of Oulu. The event was also attended by external participants, such as representatives from the European Space Agency (ESA), DLR Munich, DLR Bonn, and the SATis5 Prime Contractor Eurescom.
For those of you who could not attend or want to read further, presentations by speakers below.
- 5G and satellite communications: A satellite operator’s perspective – Simon Watts (Avanti Communications) – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/ZII-Sat-and-5G-2020-AVA.pdf
- SaT5G Project Overview & Achievements – Michael Fitch (University of Surrey) – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020.02.06_Sat5G-workshop-Surrey.pdf
- Satellite Integration into 5G: The GEO/MEO Operator’s Perspective – Konstantinos Liolis (SES) – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020.02.06_Sat5G-workshop-SES.pdf
- SATis5 Project Overview – Adam Kapovits (Eurescom GmbH) – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020.02.06_Sat5G-workshop-Eurescom.pdf
- Safran 5G Testbed Overview – Leonardo Goratti (Zodiac Inflight/Safran Passenger Innovations Germany) – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020.02.06_Sat5G-workshop-Safran-SaT5G.pdf
- Overview of 6G activities – Harri Saarnisari (University of Oulu) – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020.02.06_Sat5G-workshop-Oulu.pdf
- Agenda – https://www.sat5g-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/SaT5G-wokshop-ZII-Agenda.pdf